Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Dragon Age II: Can you help me decide what class to be?

Warrior is cliche. But I enjoy being a warrior. And I noticed in Dragon Age II, most of the collectible weapons are "Sword and shield" or "Greatsword". When I think of warrior, I think of Link from Legend of Zelda, or Anakin from Star Wars. I played as a warrior my first playthrough in Dragon Age Origin. Warriors are kind of slow, but I should be patient..





Rogue. I am naturally a rogue, whether I like it or not. Being a rogue is what I'm best at, in all video games. In Dragon Age II, I am playing a rogue right now, and in chapter 2. But I'm thinking of replaying as something else. Rogue is easy. But I still love the class. I love how fast and speedy I can take someone out with my twin blades. If there is one thing I love about being a rogue, it's being extremely fast.





Mage. In any RPG game, I've never played as a mage. Mostly because of appearance. I don't want to be a wizard wearing a pointy hat. I like to wear light armor. But in one fight, I played as Merril, and I found it kind of fun.





So..It's either twin blades, sword and shield, or a staff.|||I loved being a mage b/c you could use the force spell tree which was great for crowd control. I played three mages and isabella and it was great. isabella can drop the hammer.





now i have found a new and better crowd control: its called assassin + haste. Its insane how quickly i absolutely mow through huge masses of bad guys. i am playing varric/merril/anders and i am the assasin. actually easier than three mages + rogue, which wasnt the case with origins.





you could do what i did (this game is for patient people, after all ; )) start a few different combos, play them all, until you find what you like. My next experiment will be 3 mages with elemental weapons and kick a$# staves + a tank (aveline) and just hammer them from afar with surprisingly powerful staves (i found much better than in origins). the toughest quest, the high dragon, i basically used staves only to avoid drawing too much threat and they worked pretty darn well.





in other words, its hard to go wrong. i just wouldnt get hung up on the cross-class combos b/c i found it more frustrating than anything else...timing was often an issue.|||If you're finding the game to be too easy, try turning the difficulty up and see how that affects your gameplay.



If you're not tanking as a warrior, then being a damage dealing warrior is quite different from being a stabby rogue.



Stabby rogues are capable of shocking amounts of damage to single targets. Warriors, generally, do not come close to the crippling power of sustained attacks by a rogue. But, they DO excel at wider range destruction, and burst damaging. With the proper talents, your attack power and attack range increase, which magnifies the crowd based strengths of a dps warrior.



It takes a while to get the most out of a DPS warrior. And on higher difficulty levels, can still do a decent job of going toe-to-toe against stronger enemies. I went on as a Reaver, and if I was low on health and popped all my damage buffing cooldown abilities, I could absolutely devastate an entire crowd of enemies with just 1 mighty blow. As with any other class, learn to use cross class combos.



It is possible to build a dps warrior out of a sword and shield, but it's an impractical approach in terms of raw damage dealing, and their moves are more suited towards utility than mass murdering.



As for rogues, well you already have one so there's not much to touch upon.



Mages, much like the first game, are still top dawg in terms of dealing damage. But have very important roles. You should always have at least one mage around to heal the party. Anders is very well suited for this, but as a Spirit Healer mage, you can take that role yourself.



If you choose against being a healer, then you'll most likely end up having to use both yourself and Anders. Having 2 mages isn't so bad because of all the damage you can dish out, but 2 mages can die very fast especially on higher difficulties. Your other 2 party members would most definitely need to balance that out.



In the end, I'm not sure what I could say. Each class is great to play, and they can be played different ways to an extent. Pick which one you'd find the most fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment